ABOUT RANDOM ACTS OF FLOWERS:
Random Acts of Flowers improves the emotional health and wellbeing of individuals in healthcare facilities by delivering recycled flowers, encouragement and personal moments of kindness. Using flowers as the vessel, our vision is to inspire and nurture a culture of care and compassion. Random Acts of Flowers (RAF) Chicago celebrated its third anniversary in January of 2018. Since that time, RAF Chicago has become the fastest growing of RAF’s four branches nationwide, partnering regularly with 85 floral businesses consisting of grocery stores, funeral homes, event companies, wholesale florists, and national floral carriers and distributors.
Additionally, nearly 300 healthcare facilities receive flowers and visits from RAF, including hospitals, nursing homes, dialysis and cancer treatment centers, rehab facilities, and other outpatient clinics. Like a food bank that complements the food industry and “rescues” food for people who need it most, RAF Chicago rescues flowers that would otherwise end up in landfills. Our small staff and team of roughly 500 volunteers have delivered flowers and visited with over 100,000 individuals, replacing anxiety, pain, fear, and isolation with hope, encouragement, recognition and the reminder that no one is alone.
POSITION SUMMARY: RAF is looking for an energetic, creative, and highly motivated self-starter to fill our newly created Development Manager position to “sell” RAF’s mission and programs. Reporting to the Executive Director, the successful candidate will implement, coordinate, and manage cost-effective fundraising activities. The ideal candidate is passionate about RAF’s mission, is goal-oriented and competitive, excels at building meaningful relationships, enjoys researching new funding opportunities, and keeps meticulous records. The successful candidate will be excited to wear many hats, exceed “sales goals,” and take ownership of a new position with tremendous potential for growth within the organization.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Board of Directors
- Assist to support the Board of Directors’ fundraising efforts through tools and training Community Outreach and Events
- Assist with development and coordination of all special events
- Assist to recruit and follow up with corporate “Day of Service” groups, and private and public “Flowers After Hours” event attendees
- Assist the Program and Volunteer Coordinator as needed to provide outreach and networking activities to recruit and educate potential donors, volunteers, and constituents
- Assist the Executive Director in raising awareness about and representing RAF at meetings and presentations Corporate Engagement
- Research, recruit, and retain corporate partnerships
- Update sponsorship materials, communicate with corporate prospects and donors, and ensure all corporate deliverables are fulfilled
Individual and Private Giving
- Identify, cultivate, and sustain individual donors through mailings, face-to-face donor cultivation meetings, community engagement opportunities, and other creative mechanisms
- Research private funding opportunities and serve as the focal person for the development of new proposals and donor cultivation
- Oversee the preparation of letters of inquiry, proposals, budgets, and reports to local foundations and other potential donors
- Work with the Program and Volunteer Coordinator to create and implement a Volunteer Giving Society and Recognition Program
- Partner with the Executive Director and Board of Directors to create a development plan that increases revenues and supports the strategic direction of the organization with clear and measurable goals and objectives
- Establish strong rapport with the Program and Volunteer Coordinator for deep understanding of RAF’s mission and for strategic fundraising based on recipient and partner needs Communications and PR
- Oversee the development and dissemination of high-quality and donor-centric external written and verbal communications and reports
Administrative and Other Responsibilities
- Recruit, hire, train, and supervise development-related interns and volunteers when appropriate
- Update and manage income projections and actuals quarterly or as requested by leadership; manage donor database; prepare donor lists for newsletters and website; analyze and report on fundraising performance; manage development expenses and budget; maintain relevant digital and hard copy files
DO YOU EXEMPLIFY RAF’S CORE VALUES?
- FUN! Smiles are contagious. We find a little fun in everything we do.
- PASSION. Passion drives purpose. We know the impact of our mission is determined by the enthusiasm of our people
- ACCOUNTABILITY. The meeting of responsibilities, relationships and results. We honor our commitments and take ownership of our actions.
- EXCELLENCE. Exceeding expectations is the expectation. We take pride in our high standards and strive for continuous improvement.
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION:
- 4 year degree
- 2-5 years professional experience in fundraising, corporate sales, or marketing generating new revenues
- Excellent communication skills with a persuasive ability, including strong written, verbal and presentation skills that can articulate compelling reasons for supporting Random Acts of Flowers’ unique mission
- An entrepreneurial self-starter with experience building new relationships from a large region while managing deadlines and attaining goals
- Excellent financial understanding that includes both budgeting and key financial statements as well as internal budgeting
- Positivity, strong interpersonal and motivational skills, including ease and skill in conveying the mission of Random Acts of Flowers to senior level leaders from a wide variety of constituencies
- High level of proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and database software
- Must have a valid driver’s license and own and be able to use personal vehicle
SCHEDULE: Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm. Must be able to work some evening and weekend hours as needed.
COMPENSATION: Salary will be commensurate with experience. RAF offers a competitive benefits package.
TIMING: Our goal is to have a qualified applicant start on or around August 1.
TO APPLY: Tell us why you want to work with Random Acts of Flowers! Qualified candidates must submit a cover letter and resume in PDF format to Andrea Lutz, Executive Director, via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Resumes without cover letters demonstrating your experience and interest in RAF’s mission will not be considered. No phone calls or walk-ins please.